5.24.2019

Testosterone

Shortly after getting pregnant with this sweet boy, I started to feel really well emotionally. It felt like something literally shifted in my body, and consequently, the things that were once so hard to accomplish every day (getting out of bed, doing dishes, taking care of Brooklyn, eating, etc.) were no longer difficult. I suddenly wanted to be productive, I had energy, I could do so much more than just survive every day, and it was beyond incredible. It had been such a long year before that, so finding relief was such a blessing.

Shortly after delivering Garrett, the depression returned, we moved, and my whole world seemingly crumbled beneath me. I kept plummeting down lower and lower and lower with no end or hope of relief in sight. Thankfully, I made a really good friend in this new place who cared about me enough to help me get in to the most amazing and caring doctor I've ever had, and I had a reason to find hope once again.

At first, he wanted to try medication again, but after my body failed to respond to several medications, he knew that we needed to go a different route. We did a hormone test, and as he predicted, my testosterone came back abnormal. He thought this would be the case, since I was fine while being pregnant with my baby boy, and being pregnant with a boy releases small amounts of testosterone into the mother's body.

His plan was to give me a very small supplement of testosterone, and we were all hopeful that things would improve soon. Unfortunately, we had a setback to this plan and weren't able to start testosterone right away. I was devastated and so disappointed at first, but I kept holding on through the help of my amazing family and friends.

Then, Kyle had the brilliant idea to see if there were any natural ways to boost testosterone in the meantime. One of them we found online was pomegranate juice. I was pretty skeptical, especially because the depression had been so severe that it seemed like something so simple couldn't make much of a difference. I started drinking a glass of pomegranate juice every day about two weeks ago, and I have seen a very noticeable improvement in how I've been feeling in the last week. I also started exercising more regularly at this same time, and the weather got much nicer, so I'm not positive exactly what is making me feel better, but either way, I'm so thankful.

We're still moving forward with trying to figure out medically why my body is struggling to produce enough testosterone, so hopefully we can find answers and more permanent solutions soon, but until then, I am so so so thankful that we are finally getting somewhere and thankful for this little miracle boy who might be the very key to figuring everything out.

No comments:

Post a Comment