4.05.2019

Medication Update

People frequently ask me for medication updates, and this is the best way to update everyone at once, so here's for anyone who's interested in knowing.

Two weeks ago, I started a new mood stabilizer after I was basically not functional on the last one. After the first week, I had a few good days in a row, and I was feeling hopeful. Things still weren't near normal yet, but I figured with some dose increases and periodic tweaking, we'd get it all figured out and these terribly difficult years could be placed behind me forever. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hopeful, but I desperately want this heartache to leave, so I couldn't help but find hope in normal days ahead.

Last Sunday, we doubled the dose. I had some anxiety about this, because of some of the terrible experiences I've had with medication things in the past, and I worried this one would follow those same tracks. I tried to push the fears away, as I continued to hope in better days to come.

Tuesday evening, I was at the church for youth activities. When the activity was done (thankfully it was done and not during!!) I started to react to the dose increase. I can't really describe it as there are not adequate words for a depth of pain such as this, but my worst fears were coming true, as I began reacting very similarly to the worst medication reaction I've ever had. I could barely make it home from the church as my legs were shaking so terribly and my mind was so burdened with anxiety that I didn't know if I could even remember how to get home. I called my husband and he talked to me on the drive home (all 1 mile of it) and reminded me to breath. I was overcome with panic and I so desperately wished that I could escape the pain that squeezed my heart and paralyzed my mind.

Through a priesthood blessing, lots of help from my husband, lots of help from wonderful friends, and more prayers than I ever thought it possible to pray in a 24 hour period, the medication darkness lifted and my heart found relief in getting back to how I normally feel.

To say that I am discouraged is an understatement. My heart is broken. I need some time before we do anything else medication-wise. I've gone back down to the dose I was at before all of this happened, and I'll probably stay there for a long time until I am ready to pick myself up and fight some more. I don't know why things happen the way they do. I don't know why this struggle persists and won't respond to medications the way I wish it would. I don't know why my heart has felt so much pain and why there is no end in sight yet. But what I do know is that I won't give up, I'm incredibly blessed to have the supportive people I have around me, there is always a reason to have hope, this struggle has softened my heart in beautiful ways, and better days really are coming, just maybe farther out than what I thought a week ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment